Here is another comfort food makeover! I know I can’t be the only one who grew up eating gravy over toast or Shit on a Shingle as my family would call it. It was super inexpensive and very filling which was a good thing for my family because we didn’t have a lot of money growing up. My uncle would make this when we would be running low on food. It was one of my favorites!
My uncles version was always made from a powdered gravy mix hamburger and toast. Not very keto friendly but with a few tweaks this can fit perfectly into your macros.
- 12 oz of sausage
- 1.5 cup of Heavy cream
- 2oz cream cheese
- 1/4 tsp Xantham gum
- Salt, pepper and garlic salt to taste
For shingle: There are a couple different options you can use here. Like a keto friendly bread, waffle or pancakes. For this recipe I chose a chaffle.
Chaffle ingredients: for 2 chaffles
- 1/4 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1 eggs
- Brown your sausage in a large skillet.
- Once fully cooked remove sausage from pan and set aside.
- Add 1.5 cups of heavy cream, cream cheese salt, pepper, and garlic salt to the pan with sausage drippings. Stir until cream cheese is completely melted into cream.
- Add your xantham gum and stir until mixture thickens.
- Add your sausage back into the pan and mix until sausage is fully coated.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Now we make your “Shingle” or in our case our chaffle. Combine egg and cheese and add half mixture to your Dash mini waffle maker. and let cook. Repeat with other half of the mixture.
- Top your chaffle with your gravy and enjoy!